ITAC is a non-profit trade service association which was established in July 1962. The birth of the association is because the government at that time wanted to promote export to improve economic prosperity. To achieve this goal, more than 40 experts and elites from the different industries, government and the academic communities under the lead of prestigious Economic experts Dr. Yin Jung Rung, former minister of Economic Affairs, set up the association. The major initial founders include the former Minister of Economy Dr. Yin Zhong Rong, Mr. Tao Yi Shan, Mr. Wang Ju Yi, Mr. Bau Yi Rung, Mr. Gu Jen Fu , Mr. Wang Yung Ching, Mr. Lin Ting Sheng, Mr. Yan Ching Ling, Mr. Wu Shuen Wen, Mr. Huang Lie Huo and Mr. Hsiung Chi Fang. The first president of the association was general Tao Yi Shan who had took on important government positions and contributed a lot to the country. And the second and third successors were Mr. Wang Yung Ching and Mr. Bau Yi Rung.
The main function of the association in the beginning of the establishment was to provide training courses of international trade to train trade personnels. We invited experts from collages, head and managers at all levels from Bureau of Foreign Trade, Ministry of Economic Affairs and Customs Administration, Ministry of finance to give lectures on trade laws and regulations. The training programs drew a lot of attention and were highly praised. With the smooth cooperation between the government and the industries, our national export started to rise dramatically.
Founding chairman Mr. Tau Hung Jie used to study in the United States majoring in business administration and computer science in his school days. He founded the Department of Computer Science and Engineering in Soochow University when he returned to Taiwan in 1967. He then taught and coached in a dozen colleges and universities. Because of his progressive achievement in promoting computer application in businesses, he was elected as the first president of Taipei Computer Association and continued the second term.
In 1969, Mr. Tau Hung Jie became the chairman of the association. He devoted himself to the promotion of global export activities. He led tens of overseas trade promotion groups to the United States , Canada, Central and South America, Vietnam, Thailand, China , Middle East, Europe and the Soviet Union every year. Promotion groups received fully supports from oversea embassies and overseas commercial representative units. They were warmly welcomed by the buyers from all different countries and thus created huge amount of transaction records. MIT (MADE IN TAIWAN) Goods have become famous all over the world since after. Our association is truly proud of the achievement of being taking part in and contributing to the activities to create Taiwan's economic miracle.
Our association has been set up for more than fifty years to assist the Government to promote export to the overseas markets. Our performance is outstanding and we have won medals from the Chamber of Commerce and numerous awards. We are one of Taiwan's largest and oldest non-profit trade promotion organization which contributed a lot to the creation of Taiwan's economic miracle. We have created six "Number One", they are described as follows:
- We are the earliest organization that provided "Trade Practice Training" and "Business English Writing" programs coached by the relevant authorities in 1962. 130,000 personnels have been trained by now.
- We are the first organization that set up "Taiwan export products Exhibition Hall" in Taipei in 1969, the long-term place for foreign buyers to purchase goods at one site in Taiwan.
- From 1970, we have organized more than tens of overseas trade promotion groups every year for exporting manufacturers. We are the earliest organization that opened markets in Latin America and the Middle East countries. We have organized more than 500 overseas promotion groups so far and have developed numerous successful businesspeople. And the the accumulated group members are up to 30,000 people.
Becasse of the achievement, our founding chairman Mr. Tau Hung Jie won the highest honor Cross Medal and was appointed honorary Consul General in Taiwan by the Republic of Honduras to issue Visa for 20 years. Moreover, he also won the title of lifetime honorary mayor of Fresno city in California USA in honor of his contribution of trade and investment promotion.
- From 1980, we are the first organization that set up more than ten long-term Taiwan export products exhibition halls in major overseas cities like New York, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Moscow, Hamburg, Vienna, Dubai, Melbourne, Ho Chi Min City, Shanghai and Chengdu. They provided the face-to-face direct business negotiation services.
- Our founding chairman Mr. Tau Hung Jie led executives of the association to visit Beijing and Shanghai in China in 1990 and reached a consensus on cross-strait trade and cooperation. In May of the same year, we began to organize two hundred Taiwanese companies to Chongqing for a business Fair to meet with five hundred southwest Chinese companies. This activity built up our foundation of market development in Mainland China. In November of the same year, we held a one-year "Taiwan products exhibition center" in Chengdu. It was the first business model which has never been proceeded before at the time. In October 1994, we established " Taiwan products Center " in Shanghai for a period of five years. The ARATS chairman Mr. Wang Daohan personally hosted the opening ribbon cutting ceremony. In 1995 and 1996 we organized the "Cross-Strait Trade Fair" in Xiamen City. The provincial party secretary Jia Qinglin hosted the opening ribbon cutting ceremony. Participating companies of that event on both sides of the straits reached up to an unprecedented number of more than one thousand. In addition, we held " Fujian Taiwan Commodities Fair" and "cross-strait Garment & Textile Fair" in Fuzhou and Shishi City.
To promote cross-strait economic and commercial exchanges between cities from both sides of the straits, we invited Vice Mayor of Kunming city in Yunnan Province and government delegation to visit Miaoli County in Taiwan in 2009, and signed a memorandum of friendship.
There are more than 3,000 Taiwanese enterprise members that have participated in our commercial promoting groups to Mainland China since 2001. Meanwhile, we have invited more than 200 groups and 2,000 people from different provinces in Mainland China to visit Taiwan. We spare no effort in promoting the exchange of business for the two sides of the straits.
- We built the first "Internet Electronic Business Information " website in 1996. And in 2000 we launched our own "Electronic Commerce for Global Trade Business " website for the purpose of providing the most efficient and full-service Trade Offers to export manufacturers.
Nine Core Services
- Participate in international trade conference
- Develop overseas trade markets
- Help to market Taiwan's brands globally
- Provide a wide range of exhibition services
- Assist economic and trade exchanges for the two sides of the straits
- Provide Internet Marketing Services
- Trade & Commerce Counseling
- Training international trade specialists
- Publications of product marketing promotion